Winner of the 2014 SAIL Magazine Pittman Award for Innovation, the Grinder and Trimmer Four-Speed Winches are faster and more powerful than all other winches on the market--and affordable--a boon to racers and cruisers alike. A third revolutionary winch, the Compact, packs more power in a smaller size—a real asset on sailboats where weight and space matter.
Raising a mainsail is almost child’s play with the Trimmer. Fast sheeting around the leeward mark to get to windward before the rest of the fleet has never been easier with the Grinder. Furl and sheet faster with the Compact.
Proof of the pudding: Pontos winches were selected by nine racers in the 2014 Route du Rhum single handed 3542 NM Transatlantic race. Pontos winches met the challenge.
Pontos Winches Best Suited For:
- Racers - Each second counts on the race course. Faster tacks mean a faster boat. Choose the Grinder.
- Cruisers - Don't retire the boat when your shoulders start to give out. Use the mechanical advantage of a four-speed winch. Check out the Trimmer, or if on a smaller boat, consider the Compact.
- Single handers - for racers, the Grinder is pre-loaded, making slack line retrieval six times faster. Result: back up to speed in seconds. For cruisers, the Trimmer gets you a bigger boat or more powerful sails.
- Shorthanded Cruisers or New Crew - the tacking move is simplified with the Grinder, so you can handle the sheeting during a tack, easing the burden on your new crew. Sailing families with young children will benefit from the Trimmer - raising and furling sails has never been easier.
- Smaller Boats--the Compact is the answer.